Interesting article about a team:
EIGHT TEAM MUST-HAVES
On certain kinds of problems, Prof. Richard Field says a team always comes up with better solutions than does an individual. He offers these eight must-haves for a successful team…
- Must have a meaningful purpose that all members care about.
- Can’t be too large. Some experts suggest capping at 20. Field cautions against there being too little work for all members.
- Needs a diverse set of skills appropriate to the goals.
- Needs to be physically together. Even having some team members on different floors can hurt the team.
- Succeeds or fails together. No stars or scapegoats.
- Shares leadership. Of course there is one leader, but he or she should be willing to step aside when another team member’s skills are required.
- Has strong shared norms and expectations of behaviour. These are soft skills that often need to be taught.
- Needs time. “You lose advantages if you hurry,” Prof. Field says. “Slow it down for the process to work.”
Note: Was originally posted on the Financial Post!