Some less-obvious hints for creating a team room that promotes collaboration and effective communication.
– don’t underestimate the importance of plants and natural light for overall morale and health
– encourage the team both individually and as a group to personalize the team space: kid’s art, photos, trinkets, food, special chairs/ergonomic stuff
– encouraging a playful atmosphere if your group is quiet and shy is easier in a bullpen and this in turn leads to better morale
– encourage the team to notice traffic patterns (both physical and communication) and optimize the space to account for these patterns
– play games in the team room during lunch breaks or after-hours and have the results of the games as part of the visual environment